Monday, December 15, 2008

Language

"Slim Cunning Hands"
Slim cunning hands are at rest, and cozening eyes-
under this stone one loved wildly lies;
How false she was, no granite could declare;
Nor all earth's flowers, how fair.

The language in this poem is important because it conveys the speakers emotions towards the deceased woman. Nouns like stone and granite emphasize the finality of her death. Stone is unchanging and enduring. It does not change and there is nothing humans can do. I relate the use of stones to the death in that manner. The words "loved wildly" show tremendous emotion involved with the death of a person that was clearly cared for. As I see it, love is common, wild love is not. One adjective greatly alters the emotion that the reader feels while reading this poem.

1 comment:

Fig said...

Hi Ms. Giggie, I just wanted to let you know that I was having trouble posting on my own blog again. I posted twice on Lisa's before I got mine to work. I'm hoping that as long as I comment on 3 poems that its ok. See you Tuesday!